Random musings from the front line (well, more like the support trench, or perhaps the castle 10 miles away, supping Chateau Lafite with the General Staff) in the battle for curiosity, inertia, grammar and a Dachshund called Colin.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Cock Shot

Look at my 3 inches!Wandering through the streets of my home town, I found this brass plate embedded in the pavement. Of course, I am fully aware of its purpose in the grand "water main/fireman" scheme of life, but it started me thinking - municipal double entendres - are there many more of them?

So, I spent the day with my camera phone (actually, it's the first photo I've ever downloaded from my phone - remarkable quality for a piece of add-on Nokia rubbish) stalking my picturesque metropolis, looking for rude words, in official typefaces. And here are my results:

Oh ha ha. I used to be a doctor, you know. I'm afraid that's it. A picture of someone's house with a not-very funny name plate, entirely based on the occupant's profession in the medical sector (I'm guessing). Maybe the City Council don't actually have Finbarr Saunders working for their signwriting department, but it would be nice if they could make more of an effort. When I was at school in Bristol, the local scaffolding company was called "Avon Erections", which always made us giggle. And there's a tool hire firm on the A27 called "Beaver Tool Hire". But c'est tout. Can either of my readers find an original (ie not from an email circular - I have loads of them!) example to appeal to my puerile mind?

4 Rants & Replies:

Blogger WordWhiz said...

I'm easily amused! This made me laugh! "Avon Erections" Ha!!

1:10 pm, June 13, 2005

 
Blogger Mr.D. said...

Here via Scary.

Yeah, 've seen that "Beaver" site, too.

They recently had a "trim your bush with our Beaver tool" set-up.

Fun with ironmongery, eh?

11:46 am, June 21, 2005

 
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Where I live in Malvern we have both Cockshot Road, and Horny Old Road.

The child in me has always longed for a Malvern Gazette headline to read -

"Shot in the cock in Cockshot road"

9:54 pm, August 17, 2005

 
Blogger Merkin said...

Or how about an evil chicken murder in the road - "Cock Shot in Cockshot Rd"?

3:58 pm, October 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home