Random musings from the front line (well, more like the support trench, or perhaps the castle 10 miles away, supping Chateau Lafite with the General Staff) in the battle for curiosity, inertia, grammar and a Dachshund called Colin.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Queen Escapes From The Police...

I don't go to nightclubs very often, and even then it's normally under duress. Over the summer, however, I was forced into quite a few sticky overpriced hellholes in a period of 6 weeks, and forced to dance like my own Dad to music that I should (but didn't) recognise. It was while hiding by the bar in a nightclub in Guernsey, however, that I caught sight of a hilarious music video on the big screen next to the dancefloor. It appeared to be CCTV footage of the Queen herself escaping from Buckingham Palace in full regalia, and going out for a night of debauchery in Soho.

Click photo for the Real Audio Video

Since then, I asked all my muscially-literate friends about this track, browsed search engines and kept an eye on the satellite music TV channel, but all to no avail. No-one in the world had heard of it, at least that I could find. It is, after all, difficult to discover the track name and artist of a song with no information other than "the video has footage of the Queen in a lap dancing club, honest" (cue pitying looks)! But 6 months later ... I have succeeded thanks to the wonderful world of the new iTunes, where you can browse music videos by "theme", even if you don't own an iPod Video. So, no thanks to the useless teeny-screaming forums at Clipland.com various music video fansites on which I left messages, I now know about this brilliant video (even if the music track is not one of the artists' best).

The track: "U Don't Know Me" (from the 2005 Album - "Singles (XL)")
The artist: Basement Jaxx
The video: Directed by Matt Kirkby, created by XL Recordings, it can be seen (legally and free!) by either clicking the image above, or clicking here (low resolution here).

Answers.com says "The video for "U Don't Know Me" featured a drunken, carousing, and violent Queen Elizabeth II lookalike and was banned from daytime rotation on MTV". Apparently MTV only banned it because of one short clip of the Queen grabbing a lap-dancer's bum. The track itself was released in June 2005, but only reached number 15 in the charts.

I just wonder whether Her Majesty has seen it? If she has, it's unlikely we'll see a Sir Matt Kirkby for a while....

5 Rants & Replies:

Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

Hello Merkin! Splendid to hear from you again.

Cor, Queenie's quite a goer for an 80 year old, isn't she? Reminds me of me when I was her age...

I wonder what was in that glass the butler gave her, or perhaps she had a visit from TGOC Meths?

7:30 pm, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

wow, that was admirable persistence on your part!

funny video :-)

11:41 pm, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger Merkin said...

I think it's more likely that she was visited by The Ghost of Christmas Absinthe from her behaviour in the video!

Good girl!

9:29 am, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger Justine said...

i thought that was an Amand Van Helden track? I guess they all remix each other's stuff... crazy bastards.

10:43 pm, January 09, 2006

 
Blogger Merkin said...

Really? Not sure about that - it didn't sound familiar when I first heard it. At the end of the day it all sounds the same to me.

*snigger snigger*

10:49 am, January 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home