Random musings from the front line (well, more like the support trench, or perhaps the castle 10 miles away, supping Chateau Lafite with the General Staff) in the battle for curiosity, inertia, grammar and a Dachshund called Colin.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Captain Keo

No cloud = lots of sun = February suntan!

As part of my never-ending quest to travel the world on charter airline aircraft and drink local beers with over-tanned expats, this week I have mostly been in ... Cyprus. It's a fantastic place, as long as you keep away from Agia Napa in the east and Paphos in the west, with very friendly locals, dirt cheap food and drink and signs/notices everywhere in English. And, because it was British until 1960 (part of the island still is sovereign British territory - 99 square miles of "Sovereign Base Areas"), they call their currency "Pounds" and all drive on the correct side of the road. All in all, the Lonely Planet guidebook summed it up best ... "A Greece that works".

My new best friend So - great people, great scenery, more history than you can shake a Minotaur-shaped stick at and a very amenable climate. But the icing on the cake? Captain Keo. Keo beer is the island's only natively-brewed ale and is very nice indeed. Now I'm not a real ale buff (sandals and beard never suited me) - despite the infrequency with which I drink lager - but this stuff is nice. Slightly hoppy, but light and with no aftertaste, I have worked out how I'm going to make my fortune in the UK - importing Limassol's finest export. So, join with me and raise a glass. To the captain!

Anyone care to lend me an import/export business?

7 Rants & Replies:

Blogger Fuckkit said...

Mmmmm. Beeeeer.

8:29 pm, February 09, 2006

 
Blogger The Lady Muck said...

Obvious joke here:
I could help you import it into my stomach? Perhaps, if enough is relocated, I could export it, lady-like, into a bowl later? Other than that, no I can't.

9:14 pm, February 09, 2006

 
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ah, sounds like an ideal holiday destination. I'll put it forward at our next holiday-summit.

I just know we'll end up in Bognor though...

10:10 pm, February 09, 2006

 
Blogger garfer said...

Sounds quaffable. 4.5% as well. Nifty.

10:16 pm, February 09, 2006

 
Blogger Merkin said...

Quaffable and importable. Job done.

5:23 pm, February 10, 2006

 
Blogger Steve said...

"Greece that works" - hilarious!

As for the beer, I've recently converted from the stereotypically gay Vodka & Lemonade to lager, bitter, and most recently Guiness.

This I look forward to trying.

9:15 pm, February 12, 2006

 
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Damn, man...you travel more than I do!!!

3:49 am, February 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home